Campaigning During a Pandemic: Hard But Not Impossible

 




Campaigning During a Pandemic: Hard But Not Impossible 

This pandemic has been tough, hard, and heart-breaking but it has shown me how to be stronger. My sixth form experience has been far from what I expected, from being in school, isolations, and lockdowns constantly. It has been difficult and stressful but it also has been enlightening; I have grown and developed as an individual. 

During this pandemic, I have planned and started my very own campaign ‘Reshaping OUR Education’. It originally began as part of my political engagement activity; from there it has expanded into a full campaign that not only raises awareness for the problems faced by schools but aims to increase their funding to ensure that every child gets the education they deserve. Thousands of schools face budget shortfalls every year, this just isn’t good enough. These losses in funding steal opportunities and experiences that children need in order to develop and succeed. This was a huge step to take and I initially was torn, I was considering taking the easy option, to just support something to get me through my course. But that wasn’t what I wanted, I wanted to challenge myself, to progress, which wouldn’t be possible if I took the easy route. By starting and leading this campaign through this pandemic I have had to counter its struggles and emphasize its successes but all I have experienced was necessary for my development. Not only has it improved my communication and technological skills but also my confidence and critical thinking. I have written blogs and am now creating a podcast with a close friend, Emily Masters, discussing the education system and the problems it faces. 

During this pandemic, I have done things I never pictured myself doing. I now run a national campaign; I am creating podcasts and blogs; I have spoken at events and engaged with various groups and individuals. 

From the start of this journey, I have had Chris Reddy and his business Bright Leaders UK supporting me fully. I have spoken with him many times and every time it has been enlightening and encouraging. If I had never taken this step to start this campaign then I would not have found him and his group. I have also spoken with many others just like him and it has been incredible to do so. It has shown me that there are so many encouraging and brilliant individuals out there, ready to support young people in any way they can. On top of that, I have taking part in one of Bright Leaders UK’s leadership courses, and what a journey it has been. It enabled me to look at myself, reflect and recognise what I already have and what I, as an individual, can improve. Doing this through a pandemic has, in a sense, been a learning curve, I realised that I haven’t been able to see the skills that I have and the progress I have made. This course has helped me recognise what I could not see; I would recommend it to anyone whether you are reading this during or after the pandemic. Leadership plays a huge role in our lives and it's not just being led but us leading ourselves; that is what this group has proven. 

I had the support and encouragement of my incredible teachers. I will never forget the time and effort they put in to guide me, help me and support me in any way they could.  This pandemic has been hard for the majority if not all teachers and the fact that they took their time to listen and support me is just wonderful. As I take my next steps to university I will never forget them because without them I surely wouldn't be the person I am today. They taught me to never give up, to have resilience and determination, to speak up, speak loud and confidently because my voice matters, and I should use it.  

My hope for the future is to see education properly funded so that every child gets the education they deserve. We need to provide all children with the opportunity to become who they want to be, not what the system wants them to be. Children have the right to be provided with an education that develops them to their fullest potential. However, due to the lack of funding and support, this is just an ideal, not our reality. Subjects such as Art, Languages, Drama, and Music are just a handful of the lessons to be removed; this is completely unfair. Not every student is particularly skilled at English, Maths, or Science but that doesn’t mean they do not succeed in the more creative subjects. This lack of funding leaves schools no choice but to take them away and in some cases, students are never given the opportunity to experience them in the first place. This is just one of the many things I hope to one day see change. 


Children are OUR future.

We cannot let them down. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

Aaliyah Kennedy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience on Twitter